November 30, 2006

Video: Lost Boyz, "Renee"

Rather than just posting up videos I find absurd, how about I post a video I like for a song I like even more?

The Lost Boyz' "Renee" is a slice of blustery, down-jacket, mid-90s NYC hip-hop -- it remains one of the finest hip-hop love ballads of all time, and one of the songs that sealed my love for hip-hop. Discount the fact that Cheeks uses the phrase "smoke a blunt" 11 times in the song... his smoky delivery and coy withholding of key details ("She started feelin' on my chest /I started feelin' on her breast / And there's no need to stress the rest") add up to a significantly more emotionally powerful presentation than your run-of-the-mill "no strings attached sex" roughneck love song. I just wish I could find a version without a Toni Braxton pin-up tacked onto the beginning.


No comments: