November 10, 2006

November: The Month of Her Majesty


No matter how hard I try, I can't get away from the Royal Family, more specifically, the Queen. The Queen was amusing; the Queen coming over for lunch and unveiling yet another highly (and strangely) phallic monument to her greatness is highly, highly inconvenient. Worst of all is being forcibly evicted from the Queen's Windsor guest lodge, tossed out into the night to "see what it feels like to be living in a palm shack in Santo Domingo."

I beg to differ with the rationale of this exercise: slum dwellers in the Dominican Republic don't have to worry about the Queen's snipers shooting them on sight.

I am so happy to have escaped with my life and my land tenure intact that I've got not only two reviews (Omar's latest addition to his famously strong catalog, and a very, very overproduced effort by Robert Randolph and the Family Band), but also a new *EXCLUSIVE*(BOMBS DROP) list, an excerpt of a longer piece on women in hip-hop, and a reflection on the selfhood-smashing simultaneity of B.G.'s "Where Da At?" video (I use the word "simulacric." !) Enjoy. Ol' scary ass...

No comments: