November 21, 2006

London Jawn


Okay, players...

Hip-hop's greatest band and (FULL DISCLOSURE) the shadowy overbosses upon whom my fledgling writing career currently rests, the Grammy Award-winning, Philly-bred Roots, are currently out on the European leg of their Game Theory tour, and are set to hit London around the middle of December. They're playing two shows at Shepherd's Bush Empire, one on Dec. 11 and the other on Dec. 12: doors at 7 PM, 20 gbp a pop. If that wasn't enough, Roots drummer/mastermind ?uestlove will be dropping a DJ set at London's Jazz Cafe on Dec. 13 -- doors open at 11 PM, 10 gbp (advance)/12 gbp (night-of) for the dopeness.

If you've been to a Roots concert before ("I've been losing count myself, and I ain't even that bad at math" -- "let me see, one, two three... my bad, this will be the fifth one... in three years"), you know live hip-hop... eff it, live MUSIC... doesn't get any better. If you've been to six, you know they hit you with a different playlist every time (the bossa nova remix of "You Got Me" they did in Asbury in 2003 was great). If you haven't been to one in the last year, they've got a full clip of new joints courtesy of Game Theory -- without a doubt their best effort since 1999's Things Fall Apart.

If you've never been to a Roots concert at all... well, I feel sorry for you. Don't keep on making the mistake you've been making for your entire earthly existence.

And if you've never been to a hip-hop concert before, put all your irrational fears aside... okayplayers are sophisticated... well, at least they have computers.

If you've gotten this far and still have no clue what I'm talking about, 'tube it up. I'm done with what I came to say, y'all can continue on...

"Never Do" feat. Raphael Saadiq



"You Got Me" feat. Erykah Badu on the hook



"The Seed" feat. Cody ChestnuTT

No comments: