June 26, 2007

World Music Review: Angelique Kidjo, DJIN DJIN

Originally reviewed for okayplayer.com

To say that I had a love/hate relationship with college would be a gross understatement: I LURVED and *haaaaa-teeeeed* virtually every moment of it, sometimes simultaneously. But rarely during my two-year period of post-baccalaureate self-questioning, self-recrimination, self-satisfaction, and various other “self-”modified activities did I ever think I had ever learned anything straight-up wrong while in school. Unpleasant perhaps; astounding frequently; pretentious almost always, but never wrong. Except for basically all of evolutionary psychology. Or maybe all of evolutionary psych isn’t wrong; maybe I’ve just finally realized, after listening to Angelique Kidjo’s Djin Djin, that – try as music executives and image consultants might to convince listeners otherwise – music isn’t like faces.

Yes. Parents, what an astounding advertisement for a liberal arts education in the 21st century. Four years, X dollars, and all I can come up with is “Listening to Angelique Kidjo’s Djin Djin made me realize music isn’t like faces.” No, the concrete on sidewalks doesn’t bother my knuckles. Why do you ask? (More...)

No comments: