June 26, 2007

Soul Review: SUPER COOL CALIFORNIA SOUL 2



Originally reviewed for okayplayer.com

In keeping with the obsessive-compulsive “cultural should” that jackhammers repeatedly in the back of my brain, I’ve accumulated a tidy stack of cultural objects I “really should” consume. Among the items in the aforementioned stack include:

1. Bartleby the Scrivener
2. The collected works of Stendahl
3. Madame Bovary
4. About 800 pages of Rem Koolhaas manifestoes
5. The Very Best of the Stylistics
6. A turkey sandwich
7. My ego

Count Supercool California Soul 2 as the most recent item transferred from the “should” to the “did” pile. Should I have? Yeah, most definitely. Would I have, given an alternative? Depends on what I… or, better, you (trusty reader *identified with an e-finger extending from the ether directly toward your face*) want to get out of your listening experience. (More...)



No comments: